Dear Grandma
Today would have been your 94th birthday. Today I would have gathered all of my children around me, dialed your number, and we all would have sang a very beautiful unique sounding version of Happy Birthday. Today you and I would have talked about everything and you would have asked me how the children are doing. Today I would have shared with you all the joy, happenings, and progress of each of my children. Today marked 365 days ago being the last time we spoke, the last time you and I would laugh about something my little ones said or did, and the first time you told me you no longer worried about me and that "Now...I Understand." Today tears flowed from my eyes and my heart experienced your absence with great sorrow because you are no longer here on Earth. Today I can say that I am taking the high road in my life because of you! Today I dedicate the children we hope to find families for to you. Today I promise families who are hoping to find their precious treasure that I will work tirelessly to help their dream come true. Today I am a better mom because of you Grandma! I love you Grandma!! Please kiss my Mason for me and tell him Mommy thanks him everyday for leading me to my purpose.
Love,
Shelly
Grandma had never read my blog. She was always worried about me having this many children who had special needs that I would not rest and would wear myself down, even though she loved my children very much. I always shared with her just how happy I finally was in my life with Brian and all of our children and that I finally accepted the gift God always had planned for me. You see, Grandma was from the old school she would say, and it was not common for a family to adopt children with special needs so she was not really aware of how this all worked out. She would ask a lot of questions and it was a great time for me not only to share about my little ones but about all the orphans who were waiting for their families. I would share with her my greatest dream would be to find all the children families and for no child to ever go to bed without a full belly and a loved heart. Many a conversations would happen about not only my children but the rest of the orphans in this world. I could tell Grandma was really "getting me" and why it was so important for me to find families for these precious children. Then on August 18, 2011 I called Grandma to wish her a Happy 93rd Birthday. We laughed, talked, and yes we even cried (I get that from her you know). Then after an hour of chatting we each said "I love you" and then right before she hang up Grandma said to me "Shelly, NOW I Understand." Those would be the last words I would ever hear from my grandma. Just a few days later, unbeknownst to me, Grandma began having several little heart attacks and was put in the hospital. Then in the beginning of September God would call my Grandma home and my heart would forever be marked with her last words to me. It is because of her that I will ALWAYS and FOREVER rally for those little ones who have no Grandma rallying or loving them. It is because of my Grandma that I know what it means to persevere through hardships with my head high and come out on the other side an even better person. It is because of Grandma I understand a new meaning of love.
The children on the side bar of Carrington's Crusade are still hoping not only for a mom and dad but also for their own special Grandma. You can read more about each one just by clicking on their picture.


3 comments:
Thank you so much for sharing about your Grandma again. You know, I was just thinking about you and her either yesterday or today. Interesting, huh? I was thinking about my gma too as I was freezing sweet corn today. Yesterday was their anniversary and she said she always had to do sweet corn on her anniversary. :-)
Beautiful. Happy Birthday to your Grandma.
I miss my grandparents, too. Wish they could have met my children.
By the way, I think the little girl you have listed as True Treasure has a family: http://www.definingcrazy.com/2012/07/would-you-like-to-meet-her.html
Post a Comment