From the day we met London we were told she was not a fan of bath time. I am not sure exactly why. I saw the large sink that the children were given a bath in and her care giver whom we absolutely love was so kind and gentle so I am not sure that it has anything to do with the orphanage. In fact, Benjamin is also NOT a fan of the water.
While we were in Serbia we did not force the issue too much but I knew once she was home and playing with her brothers and sisters outside that we would have to do something. I emailed a friend of mine who has a child with similar issues to ask her what she may suggest. This friend of mine is so wise about many things when it comes to children with special needs that I can only hope to be half as loving as she is. Thank you E!! She gave me a long list of ideas to try and we have been going down that list. Some things are NO WAY but a couple have sort of reached into the "not so bad" category for London. One thing we are trying is having her play in the sink. I usually just run the water a bit while I brush her teeth or hair but tonight I decided to try and fill the sink up to see what happens. Next thing I knew she was sort of putting her hands in to see what this new thing was. I put my hands in and splash and clapped to show her it was ok. At first she wanted my hands out but I kept going. After only about a couple minutes London began to start splashing and moving her hands in the water. I want her to have fun with the bath not be afraid. I do believe this is a good start towards that. Each child is a lesson in the making and with this little spitfire I believe we will be doing a lot of learning as we go!
| She was talking as if to sat something about what was going on. |
| Starting to splash a little bit. |
| Then the splashing was getting bigger. |


2 comments:
I think the caregivers you saw with London were relatively new to her (in the last 12-18 months.) So any fears she developed were likely before that. When I first met her at age 4 her caregivers were pretty gruff and largely ignored her.
Curiosity gets them every time! LOL!! (((HUGS)))
Post a Comment