Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Hardship

HARDSHIP??!!
What really is hardship?
 
I know hardship is something we have all experienced at least some point in our life.  I sure have.  We hear of financial hardships, emotional hardships, relationship hardships, etc..   Adoption is a hardship both financially and emotionally (rewarding but still hard).  It is a hardship that God has given me to dig down deep inside of myself in order to stand up for what is right and for what He commanded.  It is a hardship because sometimes it goes against the very grain society is growing.  Sometimes you may be called to stand up for that which is right but it will be tough and you may feel like giving in.  But this hardship called adoption is also a LOVESHIP of the greatest kind!
    The past couple days I endured one of the hardest hardships I have experienced.  I watched helplessly as my Princess Carrington literally pulled her hair out of head as she cried out in pain for three days.  I could not do anything to help her or stop her. Her hair went from brown silky to chopped and missing in many places.  What hurt me the most is that when we adopted her, those who were supposed to take care of her instead did their best to dehumanize her. They stripped her of any girliness.  We worked for so long to grow her hair out.  I was determined for my little girl to be a shining princess with pretty hair bows.  And here we are, most of her hair ripped out by hand and laying all over her crib and the hospital bed.  That was my hardship. 
   But how can I even call that a hardship?  I mean really.  What did it take from me?  It's not like it was my hair or that it cost me something. Or did it?  Yes, I will be honest and selfish and say it did cost me something. It cost me heartache for my little girl. A heartache that should not be.  I could not fix things for Carrington. I could not stop what had happened to her before we walked her out of those prison doors forever!!
This is what was left of her hair that we had to
cut off so she could not pull it out.  I cried.

This is the largest spot that she pulled her hair out.

I will just have to find her cute hats for the summer until her hair
grows back!  Maybe even a few gorgeous bows.
This is a hardship that this mommy simply cannot
stand watching her baby go through.
 
 
HARDSHIPS
My Princess knows what hardship is.
Hardship for Carrington lasted almost 4 years in a cold place void of any emotion or love.  Hardship for Carrington was throwing up what little food they gave her ALL the time.  Hardship was being treated horribly simply because of her ethnicity and extra little chromosome.  My baby knows hardship the likes of which I will never know. 
 
  But no more. No longer does my Princess go without love and kisses. In fact, she probably would prefer to invoke a hug/kiss limit law some days.  My Carrington has all the state of the art medical care from doctors and nurses who truly embody what it means to take care of a patient.  Carrington will always be treasured and valued for the blessing she is.   Hardship.  No. LOVESHIP!!  That is all  my Carrington Ann Burman will ever know. 
 


 After 24 hours in the hospital they finally figured out that Carrington was suffering from a severe maxillary sinusitis. (I believe that would be a sinus infection).  We knew something was not right and the doctors at Cook Children Hospital listened to us.  We were able to come home tonight so Carrington could rest in her own bed and I could be with the children.  If it weren't for our Sarah holding down the fort I don't think I could have focused on what Carrington really needed.  So a big thank you to Sarah!!  Princess loves you!
 
Yes, it hurts my mommy's heart to see my daughter's hair in the condition it is right now but what is important is that it is only hair and she has her health and is sleeping right beside my bed. 
 
SAFE.
 
LOVED.
 
TREASURED.


3 comments:

Michaela said...

Oi, how sad!! Poor Carrington. Hair will grow and I hope she will be healthy again soon.

Debbie said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing!! Much love and prayers for you and your little Carrington, love her name by the way. :) Prayers too for you and your family and sending hugs (I think I needed one before I read this but more now that you shared), my heart wants you to know someone cares...God bless your wonderful family, take care, everyone, God loves you more! <3

eliz said...

poor precious baby, my heart aches for her. (((HUGS)))