Sunday, October 14, 2012

More Memories

While we were making great memories camping we also had to chance to go dig for diamonds at Crater of Diamonds State Park.  Now if you know me you know that dirt and my children are like magnets but magnets I prefer not to connect.  Ok so I realized we were going there for fun and to just let the usual ways of home go by the wayside so by the wayside it did.  The Hillmans and the Burmans packed up all 15 children and 5 adults with a ton of digging gear and went to find our riches.  Yes, people really do find diamonds here so since it is my birth stone I decided I would really like to find a diamond as well.  The children put on their play clothes (thank you Jenny for teaching me it is okay to have play clothes) and had the absolute time of their lives.  Ethan kept talking about digging for diamonds even though he had no real concept of what a diamond looked like or its real value. To him a diamond was a treasure and he was going to find a treasure. 

 I found little travel size 1st aid kits in a plastic box that I had gotten for free with my coupons and decided Ethan and Reagan could use those to decorate and keep their treasures they found.  So that was our first memory and it happened before we even left for our trip.

Just a few minutes into the digging for diamonds memory making event and the Hillman boys set off to dig with Ethan and little Jillian partnered up with Reagan to find diamonds.  Evelyn sat herself down and next thing I know she was eating fistfuls of dirt.  Know what my first thought was?  "Did you just eat a diamond Evie?"  Now that is a great mom right?!LOL  I was set on finding a diamond but as I looked around to keep tabs on all my children I just put down the shovels and watched.  I watched my children having fun! I watched as Owen, who usually does not participate in events with too many people, get up and come sit and just play.  I watched Hudson as he decided a nap in the stroller was a better way to spend his time.  I saw my boys getting dirty.  I watched Ethan and his buddies dig a hole so deep it was nearly as deep as he is tall. I watched my husband walk over with some of the kids to the wash station to wet sift for diamonds.  Yes, I watched memories!  These are memories that can never be erased, taken away, or minimized.  Sure we talked about what we would do if we found diamonds.  My ever thoughtful daughter and I talked about using the money to make a difference for orphans with special needs. Brian was thinking new truck (oh how I wish he could have one). Anyone have any guesses what Ethan was thinking?  Yes, my son was thinking of all the food, underwear, and toys it would buy.  Like I said, M-E-M-O-R-I-E-S!!! 


Jill and Reagan all set up for digging.

Brian was all business to find his wife some diamonds.

Brian built Madelaine and Ethan sifting screens
from scrap material at home.

This was the set up for the little ones.

How I love this daughter of mine!

Sarah was even in on the digging.

This was big for Owen to leave his stroller to come
hang out with the group.

Reagan thought she was finding diamonds
so that made her a happy birthday girl.

Ethan has his tools and is ready
to dig.

The big kids brought Evie big rocks so she could
play with them.

Baby Gwen was helping her mommy find treasures.

My Madelaine

Rachel and I even got a couple hours of chatting time in
since the little ones were so occupied finding their diamonds
getting dirty.

Ethan and Collin had quite the hole going on.

Hillman diggers.

Isaac was pretty set on finding something to take back.


2 comments:

Jill said...

How fun!!! Looks like you had a wonderful doing the most important thing - being together and making memories! :-)

Molly said...

I love love love Madelaine's hair!