Friday, October 12, 2012

Making Memories

October is the month designated as National Down syndrome Awareness month.  During this month so many families strive to bring awareness to others about Down syndrome and the lovely children who are so special.  Some of these families have birth children who are diagnosed with Ds and others have adopted children with Ds and then you have some families who have both.  Any way a family has been given a child(ren) with Ds is a memory in the making.

This past weekend our family set out on a memory making trip of our own.  We went tent camping at Crater of Diamonds State Park.  I grew up with my grandparents camping in a fifth wheel and can say I LOVED it!  A tent?  Ummm what is that?!  Well maybe I have never been a tent camper but by golly I was determined to make some memories with all of my children.  Brian and I loaded up the van with gear lent to us by friends, Brian's sister, and even someone we did not know then added about 8 children and one amazing helper and we set out for 5 days of adventure.  My only goal, aside from not being eaten by some giant snake, was for my children and Brian and I to make memories.  I can tell you so many amazing detailed memories of camping right down to the Velveeta cheese box that was turned into our crayon box and was placed in one of the steps of the fifth wheel that led up to my grandparent's bed.  I wanted that for us.  After 3 very very cold nights, lots of campfires (which I started thank you very much), yummy food, several trail walks, and one snake sighting I do believe that we made those memories!  Grandma and Grandpa what do you think?


The van before 8 children and 3 adults

Brian was being professor goofy as he taught Madelaine how to make her
first campfire -the temperature was 48*

Princess Carrington supervised everything from her
very warm palace bed.

Brian and Sarah put up tent #1 while I sat up
diaper changing station in back of van.

Each of our meals was cooked over a campfire.

Ethan and Reagan were snuggled in their
sleeping bags.

Can you even see Princess in this picture?  I will give you a hint...look
on the princess pillow. She was so toasty warm.

Our friends the Hillmans joined us for a couple days and I sent
the kids out to find some firewood.

We have to be super careful with Evelyn as she
always wants to go right into the fire so
someone suggested we get a backpack with a tether so
we could keep her safe.

Hudson had the best view on our trail walk as he
sat up on Sarah's shoulders.

Since we are learning about habitats this was a
perfect place to talk about forest habitats. Ethan
found a tree with a hollowed out section and we
talked about what could live in there. Doing
schoolwork and he doesn't even know it!

Our friends the Hillmans were so much fun to camp with! Ethan
loved having some boys to run around with.

Carrington roasted her first marshmallow with Mommy. She
did absolutely amazing on this whole trip! (Tiffany do you recognize
the hat she is wearing?)

Daddy and Owen on our trail walk. They both are
wearing the same look.

Ethan and Madelaine went down to explore along the river's edge.

I so love this man!  Princess and I just had to snap a
picture of the memory.

I could not ask for a more special picture to capture the love I have for all my family!!

This was our little kitchen for the 5 days.

We roasted marshmallows for smore's. This was also Reagan's
first time to do this. 

Ethan and I were sporting our Ds awareness sweatshirts as
we went on trail hike #3.  Carrington just loved
being carried in the backpack.

Madelaine seemed to just enjoy being alone as she
journeyed down this beautiful path.

Madelaine and Sarah set off to get more
firewood to get the fire going for smore's.

This moment right here is a special
memory for me as I watch the
two children I birthed walk hand-in-hand.

Evelyn says "doesn't everyone go for a trail hike in
their pajamas?"  She walked the whole 1.2 miles of
the trail 3 times.

Picture perfect.

Isn't this just a classic Owen look?  This one is
for you Aunt Dana.

We camped in a handicap accessible site so Reagan could
enjoy getting around on her own.  Physical therapy and
she didn't even know it!

This was our home away from home for this memory making adventure.

This awesome little playground was only 50 yards from
our tent. We could watch the kids play on
it all of the time.

Hudson caught a ride on mommy thanks to Rachel's
carrier she let me borrow.

Look closely and you will see Ethan's souvenir
from this vacation (on his chin).

Ahh perfectly burnt marshmallow for me to eat and Carrington to taste!

Evelyn taught herself how to climb up this ladder
thing on the playground.  She was in her element
with all of the physical activity.

Sarah and Evie.

We celebrated Reagan's 7th birthday while we were
camping. She opened her presents, we ate pudding
instead of cupcakes, and her candles were
provided courtesy of mother nature.

Now this was one memorable trip for this mommy!   I cannot wait until my children are older and they share with me what they remember from our adventure!

3 comments:

Brandi said...

What an amazing trip!! So glad you were able to go and have a memorable time.

Jill said...

Looks like you had a GREAT time! How fun! I give you TONS of credit for tenting it w/ all the kids. LOL I'm not sure I would ever be willing to do that. Happy Birthday to Reagan!!! What a memorable birthday for her. She is growing and changing so much - a beautiful young girl!

Anonymous said...

Your bravery knows no bounds, does it? :-) Beautiful memories!!
Blessings,
Judee in Iowa