Friday, June 29, 2012

Day Our Lives Changed-Part 3

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?  Whatever happened to common human decency? Well I thought that both of things were present in the agency and social worker we had chosen for this adoption.  We had used the same social worker for all our adoptions and wanted to stay with her as she has seen first hand how well all of our children were doing.  We ended up switching agencies to the one our social worker actually works with based on her recommendations. Up to this day we had been nothing but pleased with the agency based right here in Texas and Deborah H. with whom we were working. While driving home the next day I spoke with Deborah and her first words were "your adoption has been stopped."  She proceeded to tell me this along with reprimanding me for things she had  not even talked with me about but rather had taken action for , once again based on these "anonymous" emails she and Jenna say they have received. I admitted we realized we had made mistakes but they were genuinely honest mistakes. They were never calculated or intentional.  Honest mistakes.  Was there no room for understanding and compassion?  Not according to Deborah. She told me I had made choices and now had to pay the consequences.  I pleaded with both of these women over the next couple days to please understand and not to revoke our home study. I knew USCIS had to be informed and we would have to speak with them but please for the lives of our boys do not revoke our home study. TOO LATE they told me. Apparently decisions were made before our story was heard and we were to pay for our mistakes.  Both of these women say they are Christians and I asked both of them for their forgiveness and to please give us another chance. They could have done that but  were far too focused on "you failed to disclose information" and would not even carry out their duty to check into some of the allegations being made against our family.  Some of the allegations Jenna told me actually had her scared were that we had reached our limit of children and could not provide for our children's basic needs, our biological children were suffering because they have siblings with special needs, and that our 5 year old son was out of control. I begged of her to come right out to our house and she would see for herself that our children were well taken care of.  She said NO! The agency had already sent the letter to Bulgaria stating our mistakes and even gave false information but I guess they can do that with no reprocussions for them but we make honest mistakes and we are seen as criminals. I even begged Deborah to call my friend who so kindly offered her home for respite for Evelyn while we finished the remodeling of the bedrooms to confirm we did NOT give Evelyn up for adoption.  Eventually she agreed to call and she did speak with my friend who DID confirm what I said.  Well I guess Deborah did not quite believe my friend either because she later told me she still believed we were still not telling her the truth about Evelyn.  I told her we were acting under doctor's recommendations and even that did not matter. They had made their decisions and the letter had already been sent to Bulgaria and our facilitator had already had our case stopped and our court date revoked.  Our facilitator whom we had already paid over $8,000 to did not even try to contact us to find out or verify these "anonymous" allegations. She too found us guilty without even verifying the source from which these allegations came. Oh I was told there were several anonymous phone calls and emails. Really? How could there be when only 2 people knew some of the information that was supposedly shared.

No comments: