- when is enough enough?
- you can't save them all
- are you done yet?
- you need to take care of the ones you already have
- this is not fair to your normal children
- why are you going overseas when we have enough children right here in the U.S.
- how are you going to afford all these kids
- you know they will live with you for the rest of your life
Friday, July 15, 2011
How Can This Be?
Just a couple of post ago I was smiling and just sitting in awe as I wrote to you all about how big our Princess Carrington is getting. Yes, she now has a tummy (very cute I may say), with these beautiful plump little legs that are always waving high in the air. Her hair now is long enough to put into pony tails with cute litte ribbons/bows. She moves all over her crib as if she has been watching hours of that PBS special called Chair Aerobics. Most of all she laughs! Laughs at her Daddy as he falls for her pretend cry so he will come pick her up. Giggles as her big Sis raises her high into the air and back down into loving arms. Smiles as I, her mommy, kisses her from head to toe. Our Princess is a miracle. A true LIVING miracle. But right now my heart is so full of sadness and hurt. Brian and I constantly receive comments such as:

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

29 comments:
my heart too feels the burden of these children! thankyou so much for posting! every single word spoke to my heart and the video!!! words are not enough! only action can follow! xxxplease please please could you add this post and video to my forget me not friday linkup next week! it is amazing! find me over at textgeorge.blogspot.com where lots of warriors are joining me now on fridays for the forgotten children xxxx
You are heroes in God's eyes! Jesus said "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these... ye have done it unto me." Mathew 25:40 Think of it! -- when rescuing, advocating for, and raising funds for those neglected and unloved by the world, you are serving Him in one of the highest ways possible! Soon you will hear the beautiful words, "Well done,thou good and faithful servant... enter into the joy of thy lord" Matthew 25:21 He takes your service as done to Himself -- His opinion of your work is the only one that really counts. Carrington is just one evidence of His blessing on your work -- her progress is a shining light for Him! You are doing a great work -- Keep it up and may God bless your efforts!
I agree with you 100 %!! I have seen this video, and while hard to watch, it is a reminder of why we MUST fight for these children! Don't change who you are or your convictions! Carrington is proof of that!!
Anne Ross
Mom to Joshua, 6, DS
Ow Shelley! So sad that you get comments like that! You are such a blessing to all of these orphans.We haven't adopted yet. But we have seven children so I know what it's like to get the negative comments. I've learned to just smile and tell them how blessed I am! :) It usually makes them even angrier but at least I don't get angrier! Shake it off and realize it's the words of the enemy(even though the enemy's face could be a sweet old grandma!)You are such an encouragement to those of us who haven't adopted yet.I am with you on the advocating, I could never turn my back on these precious children who have no voice!I pray that by the time I'm an old lady I've adopted many of these blessings! Your Friend, Dana
Wow. Crying my eyes out after watching that video. I am adopted (but it was a local, open adoption), and I have always wanted to adopt someday. This post helped strengthen my resolve to adopt from an international agency after we have raised the money.
I am so sorry that people say those cruel things to you and Brian. It's typical for those who don't understand to react with fear or distrust. Unfortunately, these reactions are often embodied by accusations or criticism. Please know that there are SO many people who are in awe of what you are doing for your family, and for the 99 Left Behind. Don't ever give up on your mission; you've already changed so many lives, and you will continue to do so! Your children are blessed to call you their mom and dad, and we are blessed to be able to share in your triumphs and heartaches through this blog.
I pray for you, your family, and Project T.L.C. daily. Please, don't lose faith. You are loved!
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'" (Matthew 25:40)
"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:10)
That was heartbreaking. Mine aren't in Ukraine, but my USCIS approval should come next week. I am wondering if they could have approved us for even one more than the four we committed to adopt already. How could I leave one behind that I don't have to? My sweet Julianne could have been in a place like that if born in a different place. It is unbelievable that our world can throw away the gifts we are given. So sad!
Wow, that is powerful. Those beautiful children. They are all so beautiful.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and this video! I can't believe how insensitive people can be...even my own mother, after we had our youngest dtr with DS, asked me, "What if you have another one with this?" Really?! The mindset of people is amazing. I admire and applaud those who step out of their comfort zone to aide those who have no voice! Keep up the great work...God will surely reward you for what you are doing! HUGS
I know how your heart hurts. Once we know...how do we look away? Although our focus now is on our little one, who will be our everything...
I completely feeling the same calling as you, that we must be something to everyone.
God bless -
Brooke Annessa
www.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com
i'm so sorry that you have to put up with people who are so quick to make such comments. i for one can stand and stay that because i happened upon the opportunity to stay with your princess, my life and my heart has been changed. i will forever advocate for these priceless children.
kiss the princess for me!
Unfortunately these comments will follow you forever. Some people are just rude and dont have Jesus others are curious, others hear those comments from others and then repeat them. But you can rejoice. James 1:2-3 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.
Plus you get the unique opportunity to minister to these heathens!
Please know that this battle is not of flesh. You did something for God and God only and satan hates you, he hates Carrington, you and God saved her and he hates you for it. So ofcourse he is gonna try to make your life miserable but Praise the Lord we have Jesus and we have all the heavens fighting our fights for us.
eph 6:12
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Be blessed
Ashlee
http://ourjourneytoadoption.beckfamily143.com/
Thank you for sharing this touching post. It breaks my heart that you would get anything other than encouraging and supportive comments. Your family is doing what most of us don't have the discipline or selflessness to do. God bless you and may He continue to give you strength and love for the children that need you.
It's very disheartening to learn that you receive such comments. That being said, I applaud you for meeting them, not with anger, but with education.
I'll be the first to admit that I did not always recognize the inherent value of people with disabilities. I thought that most of them were too intellectually disabled to appreciate life. I now realize that my understanding was the opposite of the reality: most people with intellectual disabilities are not so disabled cognitively that they cannot enjoy living and develop the same profound attachment to life that you or I possess.
However, even people who empathize with those who have disabilities may not understand why one might choose to adopt a child from abroad as opposed to one at home. There are various reasons for adopting internationally, as I am sure you are aware. If one adopts from a place like Eastern Europe, then chances are that one never has to worry about dealing with parents who do not want to part with their child permanently. The fact is that, even if a parent would like to keep a disabled child in Eastern Europe, the resources are simply not there to support them within the community. Unlike in the United States, there is simply no hope for those children without outside aid.
I do not think people necessarily have ill intent when they post such comments. Perhaps they are thinking that, were one to opt for adoption at home, then one would be able to adopt many more children for significantly less cost and hassle. However, at the end of the day, a child's nationality should not influence whether they deserve to be adopted or not. Despite the significant costs in terms of time, money and, above all, patience, the fact is that no one can attach a price to a life saved from profound suffering and, moreover, granted one of love and acceptance.
Again, I think it is wonderful that you are seeking to educate people in lieu of chastising them. I too seek to inform people of the plight of these children. When I tell people, they react with disgust and disbelief: "A baby house to a mental institution at four or five years old? How can a child so young be considered an adult?!"
The only suggestion I'd like to add is that all people, irrespective of religious affiliation, should know of these children. I understand that many who adopt children with disabilities rely on the support of faith, both in a spiritual sense and with respect to tangible resources, to help them through the most trying times, whether they occur during the adoption process or once at home. That being said, I have encountered no shortage of people who, despite not being affiliated with any religion in particular, nevertheless experience pangs of conscience for these children. They feel for them and I believe that many of them would be willing to contribute time and resources if we made an effort to reach out to them for help.
Keep up the great work,
T.Z.
When we structure our lives to make things as comfortable and convenient as possible, we don't leave any room to be "interrupted" by the Carringtons of this world. But God could not be more clear in His Word that we are to care for the orphans. He sees them with a view of eternity and He's calling us to do the same. Please, please do not lose heart! You are doing what He created you to do. Your words and actions honor Our Father and they are an encouragement to countless people.
I'm sitting here crying after watching that video... Thank you so much for posting it. It reminds me of those I left behind, and boy does it make me want to be back in UA loving on those precious people. But, all I can do right now is pray for them.
I am so sorry that people actually send you such comments. Please know that for every one pathetic comment there are 200 people sending up prayers for you and your family!!
Also, When watching the video I could not stop thinking that these are concentration camps. Where is the UN? Why are they being allowed to starve and kill and torture these children? The world community should be standing up against this. Are we not still trying death camp guards from WWII still today?
This movie only strengthens my resolve to make sure 'My' babies never see the inside of an institution. Break my heart
Please do not let satan steal you joy with the neg comments. You have so many for you and your family and what you are doing then you do who choose to point their fingers and ask you why. The question really should be "Why not" or "Why not you" You are in my prayers. Thank you for all you do and for being so obiedient to the Lord and the orphans heart.
Honestly, I didn't watch the video, I know what these children go through and I just can't bear to watch it anymore..
those comments are ignorant and cruel, who is to decide that some of God's children aren't worthy enough to be adopted? We all cherish every single one of our kids and recognize that our T21 babes are even more amazing..for everything they teach us about the joy of life, and reaching goals, and just plain love...
You are amazing for adopting and I only wish that one day we will add another child blessed with Down Syndrome into our home
You are doing the most beautiful, honorable and loving work - mothering your precious children! Carrington is alive today because of your love. You are doing God's work!
oh man I cannot see the video :-( just a blank white square can some one send it to me?
I had tears running down my face as I read this. Thank you for all that you do! I am starting the paper trail to adopt from Easter Europe. Although our country is nowhere close to perfect, we don't treat our children(or anyone, for that matter!) the way these have been treated. Thank you for the awareness and for making us leave our comfort zone to help those who cannot help themselves. Peace to you, Allison
So sorry for the negative comments. Unfortunately some people feel the need to dismiss the good others are doing in order to feel good about doing nothing. Luckily, all you have to do is look at Carrington to be assured your path is the righteous one.
Blessings!
I really admire you! you are great people with a heart of gold... it only takes one person to start something, and this project is working because of that, because people who care... thanks for the wonderful things you're doing,you're inspiring lots of people, including me, together we can make a difference...
huggs from california
Barbra S
What is hardest is when those comments come from family members and close friends....i pray that lives are changed because of our upcoming adoption! Our son's name is going to be Ethan Scott Andrew Lindquist....we are praying that he will bring people to Jesus since that is what Andrew did every time in the Bible. What is amazing is that Ethan wrote a chapter in the Psalms...Psalm 89....yesterday was the day that we gave him a name and today i already needed to encourage someone with a Psalm and because of Ethan, i was able to share Psalm 89....when we keep our focus on Jesus and our children....other's opinions do not matter. Believe me....i am struggling with the EXACT same things as you and i could have written what you did for people's reactions. I just wrote ten minutes ago to an adoption friend (the prayer warrior for our Ethan that i met on FB yesterday) that i will NEVER NEVER NEVER understand the apathy of the Christians around me....MOST of our friends are VERY godly too.....we will stand before a holy God and we will have to answer as to how we treated the orphan and the widow and the least of these.
Oh boy....i better stop before i write a whole 'nother post! ((((HUGS)))) to you! Our blog post is http://godsadoptioncall.blogspot.com/ or i would love to be your friend on FB....Connie Clark Lindquist and we can advocate and encourage each other....there are many of us out there but not even close to what it should be! God bless you!
I watched the video...and my heart is breaking for these children and others like them. What does a person do who is of limited means, is probably too old to adopt (50), is single, and yet would love to and could give a child a safe, clean, loving Christian environment with their basic needs met as well as some of the "wants" in life. I don't have much, I am on disability but I cannot look away! What can I do to help??
Praying for you as you continue your mission and listen to God. Also praying for those who are "clueless", that God will touch them or slap'em if that's what it takes. :) I truely do pray that they will be changed!
God bless you for what you do! "Let the children come to me," Jesus said ... and you are following His example. Never forget that! You and your family are an inspiration.
People will say the craziest things. It is sad, but true, that most of the people who say such hurtful comments will not have the courage to watch this video. Thank you for sharing your heart, and sweet Carrington's story, with all of us. The world needs MORE people like you and your husband.
Post a Comment