Shelly had hoped to get the news of a surgery date yesterday or today but so far she has not been given a date, but the doctors have started a couple tests to prepare for surgery. Shelly is hoping Surgery will be early next week. The doctors noticed an indentation on Carrington's chest which they believe is just an enlarged blood vessel but they wanted to look further into that before they scheduled surgery. The doctors were doing a PH probe to measure the amount of reflux over a 24 hour period from yesterday into today and I have not yet heard if Shelly got the results of that yet. Carrington did not gain any weight yesterday or today so keep praying for more weight gain! She is up to 40 cc's/hour for her feeds....now if you remember she started under 5 cc's/hour and her body could barely handle that! So this is a huge improvement and a step in the right direction. Shelly said she has still been having some reflux with the increased feeds. Carrington also had a hearing test done and it was perfect! She also had test for celiacs as well as a couple other GI procedures done. Shelly says they will find out the results of those tests late tomorrow. In the area of teeth...the situation is pretty bad. As I updated the other day, Carrington will have all her teeth except the bottom two front teeth pulled. It's not that these teeth are even in great shape but the surgeon is worried if he pulls all of them including these two that Carrington's jaw could collapse, so I guess those two are staying in hopes that they will be enough to keep Carrington's jaw from collapsing.
Shelly says Carrington is entertaining everyone on the floor and even received an international package from Switzerland! I wonder who that could be....I'm thinking it's my friend Christina....When Shelly told me the box had chocolates I just new it had to be you Christina!! The nurses came in calling "international mail call...." way too funny! This girl is seriously saving other children!! She is moving in so many hearts and stories are starting to trickle in about how Carrington's story has changed hearts. Rumor has it her story alone has convinced some hearts to step forward and decide to adopt one of these precious children! Shelly says so many people told her and Brian that they couldn't save ALL the children. About that statement, Shelly has to say, "at first we were offended but guess what?? They were right it is not us saving the other children, God is and He chose Carrington to be an integral part of His plan." That just gives me goosebumps!!


Look at these cute leg warmers made by Brandi! (they were made from a pair of socks...how cool!)
The Burmans have had so many awesome friends and strangers step forward to offer support in so many ways. It is amazing to see so many people coming together for this beautiful family and for this beautiful princess!
11 comments:
Continuing to pray for this little sweetie.
way to go sweet child..... love and hugs from New Zealand xx
LOVE that last picture of her playing with her toy!!!
What a lovebug! :) Hugs for sweet Carrington! I hope these upcoming surgeries go very well for her. It's so sad about her teeth too :( xxxooo
what size is she in now? I have some clothes to send to her & want to make sure they are not too small. also what size shoe is she in?
I am still praying carrington! btw everytime I have told friends to pray for you they have said what a cute name!
I'm so glad to hear that Carrington is improving! That's great!
That's extremely unfortunate that all but 2 teeth will need to be pulled.
Has she obtained a second opinion on this? If this was my patient, I'd definitely recommend getting additional opinions. This really concerns me because pulling all of your teeth at this young age virtually always results in severe jaw and facial deformity.
Basically, those baby teeth serve as "placeholders" and they serve as a sort of "mold" -- the jaw forms around the teeth. Not only does she risk having a severely under-developed jaw, but removal so early in life will make it fairly unlikely that she'll have teeth as an adult, since the empty sockets will "fill in" with bone.
I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion on this. It won't be aesthetically pleasing, nor are they likely to be all that functional, but reconstructing them as much as possible (with a primary goal to eliminate pain and infection) is absolutely preferable to extraction. You want to keep those roots in place during the growing process (that's one reason why kids' teeth are so frequently capped rather than pulled.)
Even keeping them in place for a few more months will help immensely. If removal of the front teeth can be postponed until she reaches the age of 4, that would be ideal.
If she does end up getting all but two of her teeth extracted, be sure her mom asks about getting something called a space maintainer (assuming they haven't discussed this already.) It's not as good as having teeth in your jaw, but it will preserve some of her jaw shape, thereby increasing the chance that she'll have at least some adult teeth and it will lessen the degree of deformity.
I'm not sure about the use of a space maintainer in a child who has lost all but 2 teeth, but it's definitely worth investigating further. Typically, space maintainers are used as placeholders when just one or two baby teeth are missing. Most are work like a retainer with a block where the missing tooth would be. But I know there are some non-removable types that can offer some degree of success in maintaining an open socket (preventing the bone from filling in, which ultimately enables the underlying adult tooth to erupt.) Perhaps one of these could work for Carrington?
Here's a bit more info on space maintainers:
http://www.colgate.com/app/CP/US/EN/OC/Information/Articles/Cosmetic-Dentistry/Orthodontics/Braces-and-Other-Appliances/article/Space-Maintainers-for-Premature-Tooth-Loss.cvsp
Keeping little miss Carrington in my thoughts!
Oh my goodness I love this little girl. I need to get crafting to send her some things! Thanks for opening my eyes to adoption, I've always wanted to adopt but God keeps putting it on my heart more and more. I wish we could adopt right now, but I know that we don't even come close to having the funds to do so. I hope God allows us to adopt in the future! I'm so happy she's doing a bit better, praying for her to have her surgery soon.
Praying for Carrington!
Thank you for sharing updates on Carrington, so that we can know how, and what to pray for! Carrington and Reagan's adoption story has touched our hearts, and as you stated, is touching the hearts of many others. Praise God!
Continuing to be in prayer for Carrington's health and weight gain. Lord's Blessing on her and all of the Burman family
Praying for Carrington every day!
Post a Comment