Tonight I received an email from a mom who is part of our Ds group. This email happened to be sharing about visual timers that are available. As I began to open the email I was wondering how much these would cost because it just seems like anything related to children with special needs seems to carry a hefty price tag. Can I just say I was so surprised not only at the price but at how easily available these timers were?! Some of the timers are actual tangible objects and others are apps you can get for the iPhone or iPad. When I was teaching special ed and even general ed there was not a whole lot of different options out there but I am simply amazed at what is available today. Not all of my little ones are ready for things like this but I do know a certain 6 year old boy and his 7 year old sister that would do real good with one of these as we sit down to do our school work each day. I can certainly see having a timer being helpful to give both Ethan and Reagan some independence in their daily school activities especially since we home school. Take a look and pass on to those you may think could really benefit from something like this.
http://www.friendshipcircle.org/blog/2012/11/06/20-visual-timers-for-children-with-special-needs/
http://www.friendshipcircle.org/blog/2012/11/06/20-visual-timers-for-children-with-special-needs/


1 comment:
If I can put my two cents in..... The timer listed under number one is fantastic. The student doesn't have to understand the concept of time to use it but it has the numbers so as they are learning they can have that. I lov the 3 inch one, we Velcro them to our students clipboards for them to use at school. I also love timer 2 but it is very difficult to program. It took many many many times for me to read the manual to figure it out. I have also used number 3 and while it is smaller it doesn't change colors. Never thought I'd be able to tie a rive on timers.... Or hav so much fun researching different ones. This is how I know I am meant to work in special education.
Post a Comment