10 years separate them.
| Carrington rolled herself into Madelaine's room to see what was going on |
Born with different genes.
| Madelaine was just talking with Carrington while showing her what she was doing. |
Vastly different beginnings.
| Carrington smiles whenever Big Sis talks to her |
| Now that is a look. |
But what these two have in common is that they are...
SISTERS!
When a mommy walks by her teenagers room half expecting to find her listening to music instead of working and half hoping she is going to eagerly jump up and say "how can I help you mom?" I, instead, saw a sight that melts any mother's heart: Her oldest daughter spending time doing what she likes to do and doing it with her littlest sister.
Quite often Brian and I are asked "how does Madelaine feel about having siblings with special needs?" or "do you think it is fair for Madelaine to have to feel like she has to take care of her siblings all of the time?" and even "Are you expecting Madelaine to take care of her siblings after you are gone?" I know these are legitimate questions because they are things people are thinking. But if you would indulge me a minute I would like to share not only my perspective on this as a Mom but also as a child of God. Madelaine is and has been my whole world since the day I knew I was carrying her. She is my first born, my oldest daughter, and my hero. I always share with her that while she is our world the world is not about her and there are so many people out there and each one of us has a purpose. Madelaine has a heart of gold for children with special needs. She is neither scared nor intimidated by those who may look, act, or think differently than her. This has not come from having siblings with special needs because Madelaine has not always had her siblings. This is instead a gift God has given unto her. From an early age Madelaine was a thinker and an encourager. Life is no different for Madelaine since her siblings arrived. She still is expected to do her chores, study hard, and be respectful. What has changed is now Madelaine has 5 siblings who give her a chance to share all that she is with them, who are always ready and willing to give her a hug, and more than happy to accompany her to her room to 'hang out' with her.
I love watching the love my oldest daughter has for ALL of her siblings. She knows their needs better than sometimes her Daddy and I do. If there is an issue chances are Madelaine is right there trying to solve it. Yes, Madelaine often has to wait until nap time or later at night to get some help with a subject she is studying but that's okay because then it is just her and I and we can focus on that. She often times is called upon to chase down a runner or maybe don hazardous materials gear as she must change a diaper that even the Haz Mat team would refuse. But she also is looked up to for all she does. Madelaine is the genius who can turn on the Wii (mommy still has no clue how to) or the best sandwich maker this side of the Rocky Mountains, and for the love she shares. We have discussed which room Carrington will go to once we feel it is okay for her to leave our room and Madelaine spoke up with "my room"! Carrington is going to be Madelaine's shadow I think. Where Big Sis goes so too will be a miniature version known as the Princess. Life for Madelaine is one we hope holds so many opportunities for Madelaine to share with others her love for her siblings. While her love and devotion to her siblings may be hard for many to comprehend I do believe that my girls are going to always be there for each other in ways only God could have so intricately laid out.
Brian heard about such a love on the radio the other day. This story is about 2 brothers and the bond between them. Get your kleenex ready!
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7208128


3 comments:
Thanks for a beautiful post about your girls and their love for each other and thanks for sharing the video too! Sibling love is so beautiful - such a heartwarming story - He won't leave his brother behind even though it costs him a lot of extra work. It's worth it to him to make his brother smile!
I love your sweet girl. She is awesome.
Hey dear Shelly,
Madelaine and Sasha really need to meet in person...she sounds like a replica of my dear sweet oldest daughter...except that Sasha too is adopted from Russia and has cerebral palsy ...Madelaine and Sasha are one day going to be great friends I do think and who knows how together they could change the world!
love you girl! steph
Post a Comment