Saturday, July 2, 2011

Victoria

Catherine just called me with the news that she received a phone call stating the doctor has decided he is going to release Victoria today. He thinks because she gained a couple ounces last night she is good to go and has removed the ng tube and will just have her go home drinking pediasure. This is so wrong! Please pray for the family as they try not to worry too much over Victoria's health and for little Victoria that she will be able to tolerate feeds without refeeding syndrome.

I told Catherine is she could think of anything at all she may need to let me know and she did mention that she could use help with a couple of unusual things. Catherine has rescued cats and kittens that people either abandononed or did not take care of. Well, now she needs to turn the room she has used for the cats into a bedroom for the Francesca and Victoria. She was wondering if anyld either come build a simple cat run of sorts outside in her yard or help her rehome some of the cats. In no way does she want the cats to go to the shelter as she knows they will be put down. Request #2. The family has now outgrown their mini van and are looking for a 12 passenger van to purchase. They have some funds available but not a whole lot considering they just came back from an international adoption of 2 angels. If anyone in the Atlanta area knows of such a vehicle please let me know.

16 comments:

Kate said...

Prayers from Connecticut for that precious Gem. God will take care of her.

Brandi said...

oh how i wish i could help this family more! i can't believe they are sending her home...wish they could bring her to Ft Worth.

sending some leg warmers their way!

Brandi

Anonymous said...

It won't let me post my entire post at once, so I'm splitting it into two!
---PART 1----

I've been rescuing cats for years. I have 12 cats and 6 dogs, along with 8+ feral cats whom I care for outdoors.
We constructed an enclosure for about $500. We tame ferals and adopt them out. We also have a second enclosure with units for temporary residents -- ferals who are injured, recovering from spay/neuter, etc.
We've tried several different arrangements over the years -- the following are the directions for our third and best enclosure. You can get all of these supplies from Lowes or The Home Depot.
We *did* try to save money by constructing the enclosure (and the kitty hut) by hand with wood, chicken wire, chainlink, etc. I DO NOT recommend this. The homemade enclosures did not hold up for more than apx 2 years; once they lose their "sturdiness" the cats will exploit these weaknesses and you risk losing your babies!!
- Buy a 8x10 chainlink dog pen with a shade tarp. ($200-$250) Assemble it, but don't put the shade tarp on.
- Buy a roll of chainlink, wire and wire snips. Affix strips of chainlink to the frame to cover the top of the enclosure. (About $75 total) After this, you can affix the shade tarp.
- Place the enclosure on a bed of gravel/small rocks. (apx $100, delivered) DON'T put in the stakes that hold the enclosure frame to the ground until you've finished the next step!!
- Buy a large deck box with a top that lifts open to serve as a kitty hut. (about $75) Cut a hole in the side to serve as a door and cut small holes in the upper sides of the box to serve as vents. Place bedding and the litter box inside. I tried many arrangements with various dog houses, etc. to keep the bedding and litter dry; this is the ONLY ONE that works! Put it inside the enclosure and then stake down the frame (you'll need to lift up the enclosure and slide the cat hut inside -- it won't fit through the door!)
- Make (or buy) kitty hammocks -- a square of fabric, with wire coming off of each of the four corners. These are very popular for outdoor lounging! The ants, etc. won't bother the kitties.
- Feed them on top of the deck box (never on the ground!), to limit ant problems. If issues persist, you can suspend a serving tray from the cage frame using wire. We have ours situated right beside the top of the deck box, so they stand on that and eat from the suspended tray. I've also found that metal bowls (not dog bowls -- just normal people-style bowls) are difficult for ants to invade.
- Get a LOCK for the door! Most of these chainlink dog pens have an easy-to-open latch. We've had determined raccoons break in to our enclosure! (Plus, I've caught cats clinging to the chainlink, messing with the latch!) Plus, I've heard of some caretakers having problems with neighborhood kids who think it's funny to release your pets. ;-(
- To keep kitties cool, buy freeze-able cooling mats -- basically, a giant ice pack. Get two so one can be outdoors and while the other is re-freezing. Perfect for hot days!! We also situated our enclosure beside our screened in porch, so we can put a large box fan on the porch and aim it at the enclosure (but it's protected from rain and debris).
I've found chainlink is the only thing that's secure enough to avoid exploitation by not only the cats, but by dogs, coyotes, etc. (In other words, you don't just need to keep the cats IN; you need to keep other animals OUT!)
Be sure they're microchipped in case they do escape!
This project can be completed in a weekend by 2 people (or even in a day, if you had 4 or 5 people).
(cont'd)
-Madi G

Anonymous said...

--PART 2--

I'd be happy to provide additional info, if needed. My email is MadisonGrey77@gmail.com
I live in SW Florida, near Ft. Myers/Sanibel.

If she finds that she can't keep them and she needs to rehome them, it's possible I could take 1 or 2, depending on temperament (I'm sure we could get things sorted in a brief phone call.)

The only problem is I live about 6 hours away, but if we could arrange for someone to transport them, I'd be happy to offer a home to at least 1 or 2.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help and/or if you have any enclosure-related questions!!
Madi G.
MadisonGrey77@gmail.com

Ingrid said...

No!!! Something is very wrong there....not sure if she is aware of this but the AAP has a medical provider directory who specialize in adoptions...it's in a PDF format and shows 2 physicians for Georgia. I can't post the link but if you google asp adoption directory it will show up. Perhaps she can get an appt. With one of them. Praying!

dannielle said...

has she considered going to another hospital and getting a second opinion?

Stephanie @ Ralphcrew said...

she should be on something of higher quality than pediasure! try Elecare. and get her worked up better. sheesh.

Tim & Rita said...

If they cannot get a physician in GA to help them out, there is an international adoption specialist in Greenville, SC. Her name is Dr. Robin Lacroix and she is with University Hospital at Greenville Hospital System. I have the info if the info if she needs it. She actually specializes in pediatric infectious disease and know all the things to test for in these children adopted from UA.
Please let me know if I can help.

Anonymous said...

Please email mblair@Atlantapets.org in regards to the cats. I have some resources that might be able to offer some advice.

Tracy said...

As a pediatric nurse that has worked at Cook Children's Medical Center, I cannot believe that they are sending that little girl home after she gained a few ounces! I will certainly be sending prayers to Victoria and her family.

CareBear said...

As soon as I read that, my heart sank and all I can hear is "BAD IDEA!" Praying they will find a doctor who will be more diligent and cautious in treating her.

Joy@WDDCH said...

*DEEP BREATH*

I truly hope that another doctor can be found to take over Victoria's care and get her on the path to healing instead of brushing her aside like she isn't worth his time. This ANGERS me. It feels like they've given up hope on her (the doctors, not Victoria's family). Maybe I'm wrong but it just appears that way from my point of view. PRAYING FERVENTLY that Victoria gets better care and soon!

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why they took out the ng tube??? That is why she gained the weight, seeing as how she refuses to eat/drink much of anything. They need to find a better doctor and soon. That breaks my heart!!

Rochelle said...

Praying for Victoria!

Rochelle
Elk Grove, CA

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking a second opinion is needed, perhaps at a different hospital! Sometimes you have to tell doctors how to do their job!

Victoria physically appears very malnourished and frail and I can't believe that sending her home on pediasure is a recommendation that makes sense!

She was being underfed! I know this isn't something doctors here see often enough to understand, but this just worries my heart!

first aid products said...

Well, I read your blog. My heart sank and all I can hear is very bad idea. Praying they will find a doctor who will be more diligent and cautious in treating her.