Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday March 20th

After speaking with Shelly today, Carrington is still in need of prayers but the doctors seem to be getting a handle on things. Someone asked about TPN? I asked Shelly what the name of the new tube is and she wasn't sure, she just said again that it is going from her nose directly to her intestines in hopes that she won't reflux it all back up. The doctors who are working with Carrington are pretty amazing from what I hear...knowledgable and compassionate-a vital combination in Carrington's case. At her last weigh in at 9:30 this morning Carrington has lost almost half a pound which for her tiny body is a huge amount. She has been started on a new reflux medication in hopes that the combination of this and the new tube placement will allow her body to accept the nutrients. There are many other things going on with Carrington's little body but the doctors are waiting to dive further into those things until she is more stable. She did have an MRI and it seems that part of her brain is missing, but again they will look further into that once Carrington stabalizes. The doctors can safely say it looks like Carrington will be there for AT LEAST a couple of weeks.

If you'd like to send a card or note of encouragement you can send it to this address:

Cook Children's Hospital
801 Seventh Ave.
Fort Worth, TX 76104
C/O Carrington Burman Room 5418

13 comments:

Lynn said...

Thank you for starting this blog. TPN is nutrition delivered directly into the bloodstream for those whose digestive tracts do not work. If her nutrition is going into her intestines it's not TPN (and it's still giving her digestive tract a chance to start working.) I assume it is OK to send a small box to the hospital? Thank you!!

Kate said...

Thanks for the update! I was hoping to hear how little Carrington was doing.

The tube is an NJ tube ~ nasojejunal.

TPN is total parenteral nutrition and it is given via IV (a central line). A child can get fats & carbs and every other nutrient they need this way and it totally bypasses the need for the intestines to digest/absorb nutrients. I don't know who suggested TPN to Shelly, but that was my first thought, as well. I know they have to be careful of refeeding syndrome, too (but I am positive Carrington's doctors are very capable).

Continued prayers for this little girl & her family.

Anonymous said...

I too was curious about TPN. TPN is basically IV nutrition. For kiddos that can't eat, they'll get all their nutrition in an IV. When my daughter was born and we were waiting on some heart surgeries she wasn't allowed to eat, so they put her on TPN to keep her "fed". As for the tube to the intestines, it is likely a NJ tube. The letters tell you where the tube is going (Nasojejunal - or nose to intestines... a NG tube would be nose-stomach or nasogastric).

Prayers prayers prayers! My heart is so broken for Carrington and MANY other babies!

Stephanie @ Ralphcrew said...

Thanks Lynn and Kate! I was just going to explain the TPN and NJ tube thing but you beat me to the punch! :)

I'm sending some grocery and restaurant gift cards to Shelly though a mutual friend. If you want to chip-in with us you can visit me at:

http://psalmsixtyeight.blogspot.com/2011/03/support-hurting-family.html

Thanks Sarah!

Sarah said...

My guess would be that they have considered this since she is in a very great hospital with doctors who have experience working with children with severe malnutrition. But I'm not sure...I will ask Shelly when I talk to her next. I would agree that the reason they are probably not doing TPN is to avoid refeeding syndrome since she is so very malnurished. God has all the answers so we just need to pray that he would guide the doctors and give them the wisdom they need to make the best decisions for Carrington. The Burmans truly appreciate all the prayers and support! Shelly said it best when she said, "They are wonderful doctors, but prayers will be what makes the difference for Carrington."

summer said...

Prayers, Prayers and More Prayers being sent up for this beautiful little girl!!!!

Anonymous said...

I had a dream about a small wordless child who was to be set free (by a lab tec friend of mine who was strangely in this dream) with the Word of God- BEFORE I read of Carrington's health crisis. I have been praying for the safety and deliverance of this small one from that which set out to destroy her.

Stephanie said...

Thank you for the website...keeps us focused on how to pray...

I continue to say to you Carrington..rise up little precious one. How amazing is your strength...you are a priceless gift and you have spent your entire life thinking that you are unloved, that you are worthless....the devil is a liar. I rebuke him now in the name of Jesus....Carrington now has an army of believers who declare that she is worthy, that she is loved, that she is one of Gods children. We are fighting on your behalf Carrington, the doctors are fighting on your behalf, and your family is fighting on your behalf. I say it again you are loved. In Jesus name. Amen

Stephanie lynch

Carla Dobs said...

Praying like crazy here in Illinois...

Just for their info, how about getting donated breast milk from the Mother's Milk bank in Texas (I think Austin) for Carrington...I have worked with several moms with critically ill babies and this is why milk banks exists, since it is almost impossible for the child to be allergic...somrtimes docs are not aware this possibility exists...

TAMI SISEMORE said...

prayers go up. Alot of this is familiar from Jeremiah. the brain missing to. my cell is 318 230 4343 if the mom wants to text. i am praying and I have been there! GOD IS ABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tAMI
WWW.TILLGODBRINGSTHEMHOME.BLOGSPOT.COM

Linnea said...

I am in DFW this week if Shelly would be up for a visit or need anything. I know Cook's well. My son was there most of his first 3 months then we adopted him took him to Pa and spent time at Childrens there. If there is anything I can do please let me know.

Be blessed
Ashlee
ashleelinnea at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

An NJ Tube is what is likely Carrington has received

nasal jejunal feeding tube

TPN can have horrid effects on the liver, so if Carrington's body is already shutting down they might be hesitant to begin TPN.

TPN also doesn't add weight to a child, but maintains it.

Tracy said...

Carrington is definitely in good hands. I worked for Cook Children's Hospital for 5 1/2 years on the fifth floor where Carrington is. The staff there is amazing. I will be praying for Carrington and her family.